Tuesday 11 December 2012

Depression Amongst Older Adults




As I was going through my research on depression in the later stages of life it really dawned on me how vulnerable older adults are, I especially sat back and looked at my own community and how the added language barrier and stigma about mental illness within the Somali community would make it extremely hard on elderly people facing depression.

Depression is one of the most common mental health problems amongst the increasing elderly community. Its varied presentation in symptoms is sometimes hard to distinguish between the many other illnesses and symptoms that affect the elderly (wasylenki,1980). These varied presentations in symptoms can sometimes be masked by other illnesses that come with old age, such as “tiredness, fatigue and lack of energy” (Wasylenki. 1980). To add to this, “somatic pain” which is ones relating directly with the body and separate from the mind makes it more difficult to treat because they tend to focus on those symptoms instead of the underlying mood disorder (Wasylenki, 1980).

Depression is one of the most common mental health problems with the elderly community and it affects not only our elders but also their families due to the increased care that they will need putting a higher strain on the families (Wiese, 2011). “There is also often a tendency for people to see their symptoms as part of the normal aging process, which they are not. Depression in the elderly still goes undertreated and untreated, owing in part to some of these issues” (Wiese, 2011). Fortunately depression can be treated rather successfully but the key is to the diagnoses.

While looking at how political ideologies might impact the issue I came across the article " Depression and mental health in neoliberal times". The article talks about this neoliberal view of "responsibilization" of our communities, which basically means putting the responsibility of caring for those who are mentally ill on the individuals, families, communities and workplaces with the main interest being the reduction of public spending on services and supports (Teghtsoonian, 2009). This reflects the main idea of neolibralism in that it wants to put responsibility of the individuals instead of the government.
Thinking of my community and my grandmother who use to live with us, my own community doesn’t often speak about mental health because of the stigma associated with it, I recognize that not many elderly would get treated even if they do have symptoms of depression. I also thought about the fact that there is an increase hassle of not being able to understand the doctor. This language barrier would leave no room for privacy even if they an elderly person might want to see a doctor.

Hoda

References:

Wasylenki, D. (1980). Depression in the elderly . Canadian Medical Association Journal, 122, 525-532.

Wiese, B. S. (2011). Geriatric depression: The use of antidepressants in the elderly. British Columba Medica Journal, 53(7), 341-347.

Teghtsoonian, K. (2009). Depression and mental health in neoliberal times: A critical analysis of policy and discourse. Social Science & Medicine69(1), 28-35.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the governments cuts are not a good thing. Our elders need us and their health care> They do so much, and in return get pushes to the side as they age. Change is a must.

      Kate

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that we need more services to help elders with depression. I feel that elders are very important people and we can't just push them aside because they are the same as everyone else. We will all be considered an elder in years to come so I feel if we start working towards dealing with all the issues, it will get a lot easier from time to time. I feel that depression would be the number 1 health issue within elders because they get shoved in homes, and they aren't living the best life. I feel that this issue should not get pushed aside any longer and one again, I really do agree that we should have more services to help all the elders with depression. They shouldn't be living their last years of their lives upset and sad. Awesome post!

    By: Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hoda,
    I like your blog and how you connected it to your community and experience in life. Same as you, I also believe that professional social services should be provided for older adults and their families, so that they can improve and get better. One of the reasons I think that older adults go through depression is because that they may feel powerless, helpless, and useless. Therefore, I think that elderly should contribute in society more and should take a part in social and local activities, so that they feel energetic and valuable.
    -Farah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not considered the elderly to be depressed, because I have only seen my grandparents when we visit and they are always so happy to see us and the grandkids. Depression would have not even crossed my mind when I saw them like that. My grandparents (paternal and maternal) do not live with us or even in the same city. When I reflect back to think about how they must have felt when there was no one around, especially my nonno (grandfather) after my nonna (grandmother) pasted away, I can now see the signs of loneliness as well as possible depression even though he was never diagnosed. It is really sad that there isn't more for our senior community. I like how you brought this issue out from your own community. Articles and stories always have such a greater impact when they are related to the writer.

    - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Denise, Farah, Kate and Hunter for your comments.
    I learned a lot from this post an your comments reassure me more that we must look at what role depression plays with our older adults and what supports we have in place in terms of polices that support the older adults. We will all get older and will benefit from changes made now, especially when dealing with accessibly to programs, services and advocacy for older adults who feel depressed.

    Hoda

    ReplyDelete